Here’s your chance to make a difference and to experience the pleasures that come with helping others! Volunteering with CAIR-Massachusetts is an excellent way to exercise our faith, work towards a better America, build your resume, and gain a wide range of experience. We provide our volunteers with letters of recommendation and proof of volunteer hours.
Areas in which we need assistance include:
- Legal assistance
- Media and communications
- Community outreach
- Government advocacy
- Interfaith work
- Event planning
- Youth programming
Please send a description of your background, skills or experience, and desired number of hours per week to firstname.lastname@example.org.
JOB OPPORTUNITY: Youth Empowerment Coordinator
The Massachusetts chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR-MA), is seeking a passionate and talented individual to fill the newly created Youth Empowerment Coordinator position. Join the largest American Muslim civil rights organization at the frontlines in protecting the rights of free speech, to freely practice one’s faith, to pursue employment opportunities without harassment, and to live as an active and engaged American without reprisal.
This position is to be filled immediately.
CAIR-Massachusetts’ mission is to enhance understanding of Islam, encourage dialogue, protect civil liberties, empower American Muslims, and build coalitions that promote justice and mutual understanding.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Creating engaging and interactive curricula which foster leadership and civic engagement among Massachusetts Muslim youth
- Assisting the Government Affairs Director in planning, organizing, and running CAIR-MA’s annual Muslim Youth Leadership Program
- Working closely with local mosque youth groups and Muslim Student Associations at universities to realize the full talent and potential of the Muslim youth population
- Conducting anti-bullying, Islam 101, and cultural and religious sensitivity workshops at local elementary, middle, and high schools, directed toward administrators (in private meetings), teachers (at teacher trainings), and students (in general assemblies and classroom lessons)
- Working with local school boards, school officials, and diversity officers to ensure that school curricula accurately represent Islam in historical, literary, and religious lessons
- Creating and leading interactive community workshops, training sessions, and forums
- Recruiting, managing and training youth leaders
- Community organizing and advocacy
- Other duties as assigned
All CAIR staff are required to assist in general duties such as answering phones, outreach, fundraising, and other office tasks.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred; substantial life experience will be considered.
- Ideal candidates will possess experience working with youth and/or community organizing
- Previous experience working in multicultural organizing spaces
- Previous engagement with the American Muslim community and with social justice issues
- Strong written and verbal communications skills. Experience with facilitation and public speaking.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications and internet research.
- Ability to convey information in a professional and diplomatic manner.
- Good organizational skills and the ability to manage a variety of tasks.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively prioritize multiple projects and objectives, lead projects, and work effectively with others internally to produce positive results
- High degree of self-motivation and creativity.
This position reports to the Executive Director.
- Compensation commensurate with skills and experience.
- Generous benefits package includes medical insurance, holidays, vacation, and sick leave.
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
All those interested and authorized to work in the U.S. (citizens or proper work visa holders) are encouraged to apply with a (1) cover letter, (2) comprehensive resume stating education and work history, and (3) contact information for three references to: email@example.com with the subject line “Youth Empowerment Coordinator.”
CAIR-MA is committed to building a culturally and ethnically diverse staff force and strongly encourages applications from minority candidates.
We’re not presently seeking applicants for open positions, but please check back frequently!